Today is officially the first day of spring. It’s also the fourth day of OWS’ new occupation at Union Square. The movement is quickly getting back into gear, and Occupy Catholics is ready for it! We’re planning, for the first time, to take to the streets as a group this weekend, and there are plans in motion already for more to come. (Read the beautifully handwritten minutes from tonight’s meeting, as well as the expertly-typed ones from our recent Catholic Worker General Assembly.)
Here’s how YOU can get involved in the coming weeks, by joining us and/or spreading the word:
• Saturday, March 24, we take action with Occupy Wall Street in a massive march against police brutality throughout the city. For the first time, we will march together as a group, with OC-themed signs and attire. We will call attention to the fact that March 24 is also the anniversary of the murder of Archbishop Oscar Romero at the hands of U.S.-supported agents. We denounce repression of all kinds against those who call out for justice, especially when violence is used to silence peacemakers. We will not let the Pontius Pilates of today continue to get away without the blood on their hands being seen by all. Join with other Occupy Catholics by meeting at the big red cube across Broadway from Zuccotti Park at 11:45. The march to Union Square begins at noon.
More info & RSVP: http://www.facebook.com/events/278307312247622/
• Sunday, March 25, we will be tabling at the Occupy Town Square in Fort Greene Park, Brooklyn. Join us!
More info & RSVP: http://www.facebook.com/events/182968688482467/
• Palm Sunday, April 1, we join Occupy Faith NYC in a Palm Sunday/Passover action beginning at 11 am at Judson Memorial Church on Washington Square Park.
More info & RSVP: http://www.facebook.com/events/245157112236118/
• Our next NYC planning meeting is Tuesday, April 3 at 60 Wall St. We hope you can join us as we plan future actions and prepare for May Day!
More info & RSVP: http://www.facebook.com/events/262460680504957/
• Good Friday, April 6, we join the Pax Christi procession, followed by an Occupy Catholics action at St. Patrick’s Cathedral. As part of Pax Christi’s annual Good Friday Way of the Cross along 42nd St, Occupy Catholics will represent the 13th Station. Please join us for outreach to follow Catholic peacemakers. After the Pax Christi procession, we will lead a prayerful but visible action at St. Patrick’s Cathedral, bringing the spirit of the Occupy movement into that space on that holy day, meanwhile announcing our presence to the New York Catholic community.
More info & RSVP: http://www.facebook.com/events/369564409732614/
• Jail Support. We are eager to start a ministry of jail support for OWS arrestees, as authorities seem intent on escalating their persecution of the movement. If anyone would like to volunteer to organize this, please try to attend our April 3 planning meeting or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are the 99%, made in God’s image, seeking God’s justice!